We’re hiring: Senior Policy Analyst, Government Relations and Policy
Connecting Technology, Government and Community for Canada’s Future. A clear reflection of our role and mandate to our members and our nation.
TECHNATION is seeking a full-time Senior Policy Analyst, reporting to the Senior Vice-President, Government Relations and Policy.
TECHNATION is Canada’s national business association representing a diverse membership that is at the forefront of Canada’s digital economy. Our members include some of the largest global tech companies, but also a high number of innovative small and medium sized companies. Talent is the foundation of both Canada’s rapidly expanding ICT sector and of ICT-based innovations and capabilities in every sector of our economy.
About the Role
As part of the Government Relations and Policy team, the Senior Policy Analyst works closely with the Senior Vice-President, Government Relations and Policy to monitor, develop, deliver and advance the issues and perspectives of TECHNATION’s membership to the federal, and provincial governments (with an Ontario focus).
The Senior Policy Analyst will be responsible for policy research, analysis and development to offer strategic direction, support and advocacy on relevant policies, legislation, and best practices that positively impact TECHNATION members.
The Senior Policy Analyst will conduct research and analysis of local, provincial, and national policies, programs, initiatives, and economic trends that affect the technology industry. They will examine existing and emerging legislation and policy development to uncover the potential impacts on Canada’s technology firms. The Policy Analyst will prepare information packages, tool kits, policy papers, and briefing notes.
The Senior Policy Analyst will draft correspondence, position papers, project proposals, briefing notes, work-plans, and reports; and may represent TECHNATION at regional and/or provincial government committees and tables.
- Analysing announcements or current issues for the technology industry, preparation of policy position documents, and federal advocacy initiatives.
- Researching issues and developing association responses to influence the public policy agenda and ensure a favourable environment for the industry.
- Researching and recommending current, upcoming, and latent issues for inclusion in TECHNATION’s corporate strategic plans.
- Supporting TECHNATION positions on important public policy matters. This includes balancing diverse member and stakeholder interests through innovative approaches and flexibility.
- Supporting TECHNATION’s work advancing the transformation and digitization of federal services, including modernized procurement.
- Performing comprehensive assessments of proposed policies and programs, identifying potential political, legal, social, economic, and financial impacts, and recommending modifications.
- Evaluating existing policies and programs to determine their consistency with, and effectiveness in meeting TECHNATION member priorities.
- Soliciting, analyzing, and integrating input from members and stakeholders, in the course of policy and program evaluation and development.
- Analyzing alternative means of meeting policy objectives, including the review of initiatives of other jurisdictions, and evaluating the various implications of these options.
- Providing targeted analysis of documents and proceedings, including research studies, proposals, House of Commons debates, parliamentary review, and discussion papers.
- Providing support to Government Relations and Policy committees and working groups, which may include presentations, engaging speakers, etc.
- Support for Ottawa based industry events (and virtual events) and general TECHNATION member engagement will also be required.
- Senior Managers, Directors, SVP Industry Engagement, and SVP Government Relations and Policy
- TECHNATION external key stakeholders in Government and Industry
- TECHNATION policy members from key positions in leading industry organisations
- Senior staff from other Canadian and international industry associations
- Senior Federal government officials at the ADM, Director General and Director levels
- Federal legislators at Commons and Senate committee hearings and special events
- TECHNATION Members, Membership Account Primes
- External Vendors
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent education and experience
- Three (3) to five (5) years working in or with government in areas including economic development, regulatory modernization, government modernization and digital government, trade policy, international relations, trade and investment, economic forecasting.
- Strong understanding of the economic, regulatory and legislative contexts within which the ICT industry operates and strong understanding of the Canadian federal government
- Keen awareness of policy issues impacting the ICT industry and strong political acuity.
- Ability to secure others’ commitment to strategic positions, while balancing diverse interests
- Identify and create opportunities to deliver value to members
- Strong relationship building and interpersonal skills required
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including the ability to write and edit quickly, accurately and creatively
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to handle multiple assignments at the same time and meet tight deadlines
- High level of maturity and empathy; highly developed interpersonal and influencing capabilities
- Ability to write communications on behalf of a senior executive
- Collaborative team player comfortable leading as well as executing and taking constructive input from multiple sources
- Ability to be proactive in anticipating the needs of leadership
- Work outside the normal operating hours of TECHNATION can be expected in this role (when in-person events, meetings, etc. return)
- Confident with public speaking
- Bilingual, preferred
What we Offer:
TECHNATION is a dynamic and engaging organization with a dynamic team. We manage and lead national events, speaking forums, and educational programs that impact businesses across the country. If you like being involved in leading-edge programs that are going to impact our nation, then TECHNATION is for you! We offer:
- Competitive salary and benefit package; and
- Paid vacations and holidays.
We are committed to diversity in its workplaces and encourage applications from all visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities among other self-identified diverse groups. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us.
To learn more about our organization visit www.technationcanada.ca
To apply, please visit https://itac.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=38 to complete the interview process no later than May 28 2021.
If you have any questions you can direct them to email@example.com no later than Friday May 28 2021.