We’re hiring: Senior Manager, Government Relations
Connecting Technology, Government and Community for Canada’s Future. A clear reflection of our role and mandate to our members and our nation.
TECHNATION is seeking a full-time Senior Manager Government Relations, reporting to the Senior Vice- President, Government Relations and Policy.
TECHNATION is Canada’s national business association representing a diverse membership that is at the forefront of Canada’s digital economy. Our members include some of the largest global tech companies, but also a high number of innovative small and medium sized companies. Talent is the foundation of both Canada’s rapidly expanding ICT sector and of ICT-based innovations and capabilities in every sector of our economy.
Preferred – Ottawa
(Remote working environment)
About the Role
Creates and enhances TECHNATION’s relations with all levels of government. Supports the building and maintenance of strategic relationships with officials at the federal, provincial and municipal levels of government, as well as other public sector institutions. Coordinates and prepares briefing materials for meetings, events, and projects, and acts as a liaison for government officials.
As part of the Government Relations and Policy team, the Senior Manager, Government Relations works closely with the Senior Policy Manager and the Senior Vice-President, Government Relations and Policy to develop and deliver key priorities including advocacy guidelines, tools, and support; multi-year government relations advocacy campaigns; and ongoing government relations activities.
Key TECHNATION objectives to contribute to include: increased TECHNATION profile; reputation and brand preference with government and community audiences; enhanced awareness of TECHNATION across Canada; and increased coordination of government relations and advocacy knowledge.
The manager will be responsible for four key management functions including: creating new contacts and building relationships with government and other stakeholders; help to create a plan for government relations and then manage aspects of the communications for TECHNATION with members, government and partners; manage projects, announcements, and collaborations designed to foster outreach, interest and understanding about TECHNATION, its members and the tech industry; and work with community partners and fellow associations to advance the overall goals of TECHNATION.
Strategic and Advocacy Planning and Communications
- Works with the SVP, Government Relations and Policy, to support a government relations plan that reflects and supports the central goals of TECHNATION and its members
- Represents TECHNATION’s voice and position in print, online and social media, and facilitates conversations that enhance TECHNATION’s reputation and are of value to our members and key
- Collaborates with TECHNATION leaders, members and key stakeholders to identify and promote research and activities relevant to TECHNATION’s strategic goals, and contributes to the tech
- Makes recommendations on innovative approaches to disseminating information using emerging technologies
- In conjunction with the SVP Government Relations and Policy, enhances the profile, image and reputation of TECHNATION with government and the public in support of TECHNATION’s strategic plan and advocacy
- Works with members and stakeholders to develop and recommend strategies for government engagement and works with government officials, elected officials’ offices and others to produce successful
- Acts as a resource for staff who are seeking advice and assistance on working and engaging with government (e.g. guest lists, funding opportunities, partnership opportunities, )
Government programs and environmental scans
- Proactively monitors, analyzes, and interprets government programs and activities and provides advice on the implications and opportunities for TECHNATION
- Conducts environmental scans of various issues as it pertains to government activity and the technology
- Primary lead in developing, strengthening and maintaining relationships with local constituency offices at the provincial and federal levels
- Creates and/or identifies opportunities for government officials to participate in activities with TECHNATION
- Develop, strengthen and maintain relationships with key economic development advocacy organizations (e.g. FedDev; ISED) to increase their support for and understanding of
- Works collaboratively across TECHNATION to maximize alignment of government relations and communication strategies, messaging and programs, to deliver on TECHNATION’s advocacy priorities and goals.
- Leads and coordinates projects, conferences and events, and government and other stakeholder relations initiatives highlighting TECHNATION’s role in the digital ecosystem
- Provides a superior experience for government and community contacts to ensure TECHNATION is the first point of contact for government by ensuring knowledgeable and timely responses, and appropriate follow-up
- Senior Managers, Directors and SVP Government Relations and Policy
- TECHNATION external key stakeholders in Government and Industry
- TECHNATION Members, Membership Account Primes
- External Vendors
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent education and experience
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience working in or with the government (federal, provincial or municipal) sector, including building relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Strong relationship building and interpersonal skills required
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including the ability to write and edit quickly, accurately and creatively
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to handle multiple assignments at the same time and meet tight deadlines
- High level of maturity and empathy; highly developed interpersonal and influencing capabilities
- Ability to write communications on behalf of a senior executive
- Collaborative team player comfortable leading as well as executing and taking constructive input from multiple sources
- Ability to be proactive in anticipating the needs of leadership
- Identify and create opportunities to deliver value to members
- Work outside the normal operating hours of TECHNATION can be expected in this role (when in- person events, meetings, return)
- Confident with public speaking
- Bilingual, preferred
What we Offer
TECHNATION is a dynamic and engaging organization with a dynamic team. We manage and lead national events, speaking forums, and educational programs that impact businesses across the country. If you like being involved in leading-edge programs that are going to impact our nation, then TECHNATION is for you! We offer:
- Competitive salary and benefit package; and
- Paid vacations and holidays
We are committed to diversity in workplaces and encourage applications from all visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities among other self-identified diverse groups. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us.
To learn more about TECHNATION visit www.technationcanada.ca.
To apply, please visit https://itac.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=38 to complete the interview process no later than May 28 2021.
If you have any questions you can direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday May 28 2021.