Extended Application Date: Nov. 5, 2021 – TECHNATION is seeking a full-time Vice President of Marketing & Communications
Connecting Technology, Government and Community for Canada’s Future. A clear reflection of our role and mandate to our members and our nation.
TECHNATION is seeking a full-time Vice President of Marketing & Communications
TECHNATION is Canada’s national business association representing a diverse membership that is at the forefront of Canada’s digital economy. Our members include some of the largest global tech companies, but also a high number of innovate small and medium sized companies. Talent is the foundation of both Canada’s rapidly expanding ICT sector and of ICT-based innovations and capabilities in every sector of our economy.
This role is an Executive Leadership role, currently remote with the potential of becoming a hybrid role. There is an expectation that the individual in this role will be available to travel as required for face-to-face meetings, member and/or government meetings along with strategic planning.
About the Role
Reporting to the CEO and serving as an integral member of the senior leadership team, the Vice President (VP) of Marketing & Communications will be responsible for development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization, its leadership, and membership. The VP of Marketing & Communications provides leadership, planning, and execution for all of TECHNATION’s strategic communications, content marketing to Members, Public Relations as well as social, digital and traditional media strategies. This individual is a company ambassador who is able to build relationships with the media.
The VP of Marketing & Communications will develop TECHNATION’s communication strategy and plan as well as contribute to the strategic and operational planning process. The VP of Marketing & Communications will develop and/or oversee the creation of all external and internal communications, and will be responsible for TECHNATION’s varied and integrated communications products and services including: strategic plan across business lines, effective execution of campaigns, media relations and annual report, newsletters, print publications (ie web, e-news, and other online communications; media and public relations; and marketing). This individual works closely with the Events Director and Program Leaders to ensure Member events are marketed and speaker content is prepared as needed.
Required Experience & Key Responsibilities:
- Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership:
- Develop and implementation of an integrated strategic communications and marketing plan to advance TECHNATION’s brand identity
- Broaden awareness of its programs and strategic priorities
- Increase the visibility of its programs and services across key stakeholder audiences (current/potential members, board, government partners)
- Develop Key messages and Points of View to support corporate campaigns and position unique differentiation of TECHNATION in the Canadian market
- Create marketing/public relations strategy that will cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with high-level external audiences including government, key stakeholders and media
- Oversee all aspects of the media relations/public relations. Develop press information kits, news releases and build relationships within this community
- Arrange interviews with event speakers and panelists; prepare briefing information, talking points, and Q&A docs
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions; define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Thought Leadership:
- Develop thought leadership platforms and/or campaigns for the organization leveraging members of the senior leadership team. Draft CEO / executive level speeches, social media content, and additional communication content as required
- Communications Operations:
- Develop and manage all collateral materials and electronic communications including annual reports, pamphlets, board meeting presentations, website, etc. along with ability to measure exposure and brand impact
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization
- Exercise judgement to prioritize media opportunities and prepare talking points, speeches presentations, and other supporting materials as required
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage around special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including one direct report, budgeting, and planning
- People Management requirements
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement
- Mentor and develop direct report(s)
- Manage performance through development goals, objectives, priorities, ongoing coaching and feedback, mid year review and annual performance review
- Vendor Management
- Research, retain and oversee use of any required external services; manage vendor relationship and contract/budget
- Senior Leadership team (SVP and VP level) and Directors
- Future Workforce Development senior managers
- National Media
- TECHNATION members and key stakeholders
- Bachelor’s, Master’s Degree or equivalent level of education
- Minimum 10-15 years of relevant communications and marketing experience
- At least 5 years of people management experience. Experience and ability to act as company spokesperson, as needed
- Proven experience in the design and implementation of strategic marketing, communications, and public relations campaigns
- Outstanding communications (oral and written); ability to communicate complex information effectively
- Excellence in writing and editing with extensive experience in all forms of corporate and executive communications
- Demonstrated success in developing key messages for an organization and communicating to critical audiences resulting in a measurable difference
- Superb organizational skills, able to work in a fast-paced environment across various strategic priorities and multiple stakeholders
- Knowledge and experience with digital marketing, social media, and content marketing. Broad understanding of digital and traditional technologies, applications, and processes
- Influence and collaboration across multi-sector groups
- Proven experience and track record of managing outcomes-oriented roundtables / councils
- Team & Operations Leadership
- Proven ability to bring out the best in team players while balancing demanding programs
- Ability to work strategically and collaboratively at all levels
- Strong relationship management skills with evidence of executive level communications and engagements
- Self-starter and evidence of strong leadership in fast-paced settings
- Outcomes/results driven
- This is an action-oriented results driven organization supporting the fastest growing sector in the world!
- Program and Project Management Skills
- Strong facilitation skills
- Bilingual – English / French
What we Offer
TECHNATION is a dynamic and engaging organization with a dynamic team. We manage and lead national events, speaking forums, and educational programs that impact businesses across the country. If you like being involved in leading-edge programs that are going to impact our nation, then TECHNATION is for you!
- Competitive salary and benefit package; and
- Paid vacations and holidays.
We are committed to diversity in its workplaces and encourage applications from all visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities among other self-identified diverse groups. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us.
To apply, please submit a cover letter & resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 5, 2021